I found a pin on Pinterest for these lemon bars and the looked and sounded amazing. They are from the great blog “Make Mine Lemon”.
I baked them exactly as instructed (which isn’t always the case for me). They were good, but the lemon topping was too thin for my taste. These photos are from my first baking.
So, the next time I made them in a loaf pan instead of an 8″ x 8″ pan. The benefit here is less crust to make and more lemon-y topping. I used a parchment sling in the pan and chilled the baked bars for about 6 hours. I sliced them in strips, and then sliced those strips in half. They were soooo good. (I forgot to take photos of my second try.)
This is my first baking in the 8 x 8 pan which made the topping too thin, and I didn’t crush the cookies enough so the crust was too chunky
Here they are in the parchment sling before slicing.
Here’s my take on “Make Mine Lemon” lemon bars
- 3/4 cup ginger snap crumbs-I used store bought cookies
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 4 oz. of cream cheese
- 1 whole egg and 1 egg white
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt.
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Powdered sugar to dust top after cooled.
- Mise en place ~ Gather all ingredients
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature
- Preheat oven – 325°F
- Line a loaf pan with a parchment sling
- In a food processor whiz cookies into crumbs or place in a large baggie and roll over them with a rolling pin. Add melted butter; mix
- Press crumbs in bottom of pan; set aside
- In a food processor or mixer whiz sugar and zest until well blended.
- Add cream cheese
- Add one whole egg and one egg white
- Add lemon juice, vanilla
- Add flour, salt
- Bake about 22-25 minutes or until filling is lightly set.
- Wait for bars to cool in pan .
- Chill bars in pan for 4 or more hours.
- Remove the bars using the sling. Slice and dust with powdered sugar if you wish.