Advertisements
RSS Feed

Microwave popcorn in a brown paper bag

Does anyone remember making popcorn on the stove as a kid? I would always burn it, and ruin my mom’s pots. Then came along the hot air popper, which was much better. Then came microwave popcorn that I thought was the best…I ate it all of the time until I discovered that the ingredients in the flavoring were not too good for me. So, after years without popcorn, I am happy to report that you can pop your own in the microwave!

This might not be news to you, but it was to me when I saw my co-worker pull a small brown paper bag out of the microwave, and pour out perfectly popped popcorn.
This is much better for you and a heck of a lot cheaper than the microwave packs. Please note: some microwave manufacturers say that brown paper bags are a fire hazard, so use your judgement, and don’t leave the microwave unattended.

Here’s all you need:
Brown paper lunch sack
Popcorn
Butter
Salt

Pour about half an inch of popcorn into the bag. Fold the top over 2 or 3 times. Place in the microwave and cook on the popcorn setting. Listen for when the pops become less frequent and avoid burning. It took my bag about 25 seconds less than the popcorn setting.
Open the bag to release the steam. (Open the bag away from your face.)
Pour into a bowl and top with melted butter, and sprinkle with a salt of your choosing. Or you can just eat it plain from the bag.

20130224-160226.jpg

Advertisements

About sweetaddict

I'm a crazy, candy-infatuated, blogger who s so happy that you stopped by. This place is dedicated to all of us who always end up in the candy aisle. I'm totally impartial and answer only to my taste buds. I write about all things sweet from candy to baking to ice cream and beyond. Let me know your favorites.

18 responses »

1. I’m going to try that!

2. People keep telling me this works, maybe it’s time to buy some kernels. There’s a microwave in a student lounge, and people pop corn all the time. I’d like to see the look on their faces when I do it w/ a paper bag!

3. Fantastic! I’m going to have to try this as well. My kids eat popcorn all the time for a snack. Thanks for sharing!

4. It’s obvious when you think of it but I wouldn’t have! Thank you!

5. No oil necessary? Wow–that’s awesome. I never buy microwave popcorn as it’s cheaper to pop your own, but you’ve just made it even easier. The kiddos would get a kick out of it as well, I’d think. Thanks for posting:-)

6. Yeah Sweetaddict! Yet another great idea on your blog! You go girl!!!!

7. My husband used to make it this way! Popcorn is his favorite late night snack.

8. I will definitely try this! I LOVE popcorn and eat a LOT of it…..it’s my go to when I’m hungry but not too hungy!

9. I’ve recently switched my food blog over to be self-hosted which I hope will make it more user-friendly in the future. As a result, if you were following Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen via email, WordPress, or using RSS feeds through Google Reader or some other way, you are no longer subscribed. If you wish to continue receiving future posts from my blog you will need to re-subscribe. Sorry for the inconvenience, Teresa.

10. That’s such a great idea!