Today is my daughter’s birthday, so I baked her favorite muffins for her to enjoy this morning. They are an adaptation of a recipe from Southern Living Magazine, I tweaked them to give them more of a lemon-y flavor. They are really easy to make and even easier to eat.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
makes 12 regular size muffins, prep time 20 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (6-ounce) container vanilla yogurt-whole milk is best
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 (6-ounce) package fresh blueberries, or raspberries (about 1 1/4 cups) or 1 (6-ounce) package frozen blueberries, or raspberries,unthawed
tossed with 1 Tablespoon flour
2 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon cold butter
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place paper muffin liners in a muffin pan.
2. Combine 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
3. Stir together yogurt and next 4 ingredients; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
4. Fold berries with flour into batter. Spoon into muffin liners, fill 2/3 full.
5. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons flour and 3 tablespoons sugar; cut butter into mixture with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Spoon evenly over batter in muffin pans.
6. Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Remove muffins from pans immediately, and cool on wire racks.