I made an “Orange Dream Cake” yesterday to bring to a party, and it was a hit.
If you’re looking for a refreshing, easy to make dessert, this is it. If you’re looking for a light dessert, avert your eyes….
I don’t have a photo because it would have seemed a tad arrogant to pull out my camera and start photographing the cake as people cut into it.
Picture this: light orange cake with mandarin oranges, and topped with light yellow, fluffy frosting. You could even decorate it with mandarin orange slices and pineapple sections….
Orange Dream Cake*
1 box butter cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
4 eggs-lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used Wesson)
1/2 tsp orange extract
1 small can mandarin oranges-undrained
1 container Cool Whip (don’t use the store brand, use the real thing)
1 large box Jello instant vanilla pudding (just the mix, don’t make it into pudding)
1 large can crushed pineapple-undrained
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix cake mix, eggs, oil and extract together until almost all the lumps are gone. Stir in the mandarin oranges.
3. Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13 cake pan (metal is best for even baking)
4. Bake for 40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
5. Cool cake in pan on a cooling rack.
Topping: Mix the pineapple and dry pudding mix together in a large bowl, fold in Cool Whip. Spread over cooled cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*My thanks to my friend Jennie for giving me this recipe a few years back.