In the spirit of Marshmallow Week, I’m talking about the kind that you make in your kitchen, not those pre-made hunks of styrofoam. The real things are chewy, crispy, and less than 10 minutes to make.
I use the traditional recipe, with a few tweaks. Plus, the fact that the house is so hot this summer, I use the microwave. Don’t go cheap and buy the store brand cereal and marshmallows, for the love. Note: they are called Rice Krispy Treats not Crisped Rice treats! Use Rice Krispies, and soft Kraft Jet Puffed marshmallows. The difference is pennies, and the results so much better.
3 Tablespoons butter
1 (10 oz. ) bag Kraft Jet Puffed regular size or mini marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispy cereal (honestly, I just pour them in until I like the consistency.)
1. Butter a 9″ x 13″ pan (I use glass)
2. Put 3 Tablespoons butter and marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl.
3. Microwave for 1 minute, check that they are puffing up, and microwave for another minute. Or, until they are doubled in size.
4. Stir mixture to combine, and add Rice Krispies.
5. Use parchment paper to press mixture into buttered pan.
6. Put pan in the refrigerator to harden them up so you can eat them soon! Soak the bowl, and the mixing spoon for 15 minutes, and the marshmallows and krispies will come right off.
Here are some photos to show you what the marshmallows should look like.
after one minute
after two minutes
(geeze, my hand looks huge…)
The only thing I’d change is the pan size because I don’t like my Krispy Treats too thick. Enjoy!