This cake is so wonderful. It’s a must at every family birthday, and a request at most pot-lucks. We always call it Crazy Cake. I think the cake became popular during the depression since it doesn’t use eggs, but now it’s au courant since the cake is vegan, too! My mother-in-law made this for my husband, and his twin sister’s, birthday two days ago, and the sweet taste still lingers in my mind….This is her recipe.
I don’t have any photos. It looks like a typical chocolate cake, it just tastes much better. It is so moist that it is best made in a 9″x13″ pan. You’ll frost it when it’s still warm, and the frosting gets that cool, crunchy texture on the top.
Here are some tips: 1.Use Wesson oil, 2. Don’t use frosting in a can, use the frosting recipe below 3. If you don’t want frosting, just sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the cake once it’s cooled. 4. You could make it as 24 cupcakes, use cupcake liners, and you’ll just need to adjust the baking time to 20-25 minutes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey’s is fine)
- 3/4 cup Wesson oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (white or red, both work, but not balsamic)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (only use real, never imitation)
- 2 cups room temperature water
1. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined. Don’t over mix.
2. Pour into a greased and floured 9″x13″ cake pan (metal is best, glass will cook unevenly).
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C for everyone outside the U.S.) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Sometimes the baking time can take up to 50 minutes, and I don’t know why. Just keep testing it every 5 minutes after 40 minutes to prevent burning.) Keep cake in pan and set pan on a cooling rack. Wait 15 minutes to cool slightly, then frost with the recipe below.
Frosting for Crazy Cake
2 squares of semi-sweet chocolate (Baker’s is fine)
4 Tablespoons butter (unsalted is always best, but salted work just fine)
1/2 box powdered sugar (I think this equals about a cup)*
1/2 c. heavy cream*
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
In a large microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate and butter. Heat for 30 second intervals until melted, stir between each 30 seconds.
Beat in the powdered sugar, and cream. Add the vanilla.
*Add more powdered sugar if the frosting is too thin, or a little more cream if too thick.