Now that we are half-way through the first month of 2013, I figure that I should make some resolutions. All of mine are baking goals (oh sure, I have other goals, but they aren’t as much fun).
This could be called a bucket list, but I really don’t care for that term, especially since once you complete the list, then what?
Anyhow…here’s my list, and if you have a recipe suggestion for one of these, please let me know.
1. Macarons: oh, how I love these. A little crisp shell, then a soft chew, then the buttercream filling, oh yeah! They are the darling of the baking world with good reason.
2. Pavlova: a fluffy cloud of meringue with pastry cream and fruit, I have always admired these from afar.
3. Madeleines: they are just lovely to look at, and even better to eat. A perfect pairing with tea.
4. Focaccia: I mean a really good one with a chewy top and lots of air holes, simply seasoned with sea salt and rosemary, and basil.
5. A yule log, or Buche de Noel for you Francophiles: complete with meringue mushrooms. A little retro and corny, but you know it’s good.
6. Homemade caramels: I have tried and tried and every version is too soft and greasy. These apple cider caramels from Smitten Kitchen sound wonderful.
7. Marshmallows: They look easy enough, I don’t know why I can’t commit….
Again, if you have a favorite recipe for one of these, or have one that I should try, please drop me a line in the comments below.
Photocredits: 1. davidlebovitz.com 2. Kraft 3. myrecipes.com 4. Browneyedbaker.com
5. Betty Crocker 6. smittenkitchen.com 7. bonappetit.com